Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

SPRING BREAK ~ How to survive the kiddos!


My superheros are home all day from school for spring break (that's two full weeks)!  I love being home with the boys.  But let's be real.  Being at home ALL DAY with little superheros can be exhausting, especially if they are having trouble sharing and getting along.  And trying to get anything done around the house is near impossible.  So I decided I would theme a few of the days and do a little homework the night before to try and give our long days some direction and intentional fun. 

Here is what I came up with for day one....
 
A is for Airplane!
 
1.  Airplane coloring page
2.  Build an airport out of Legos
3.  Airplane lunch (chicken salad on celery in the shape of an airplane)
4.  Make paper airplanes
5.  Pretend to fly on an airplane (line up all the chairs)
6.  Airplane balloon science experiment
 
 
Airplane Coloring Pages
There are a million airplane coloring pages on the net.  Just search google images, you won't have a problem finding something you like.
Here is the one we used.
 
 
I have preschoolers.  So I wanted a page that had the letter "A" on it so they could see it and color it.  This one also has the dotted word "airplane".  Nice practice for writing.
 
 
 
 
 
Build an airport out of Legos
Next we made an airport out of Lego Duplo Blocks.  I let the boys take the lead.  We made a runway out of some foam puzzle pieces.
 

Bob the Builder is the air traffic controller.  Can you see him at the top?




Airplane Lunch
Before we knew it, it was time for lunch. 




I knew I wanted to make chicken salad today.  Since this was already planned, I had celery on hand.  So I whipped up a batch of chicken salad and just cut some celery to make a very simple airplane.  I filled the celery with the chicken salad and voila!  The boys LOVED it!  And making airplane noises while eating is still cool when you are three and five!

I really wanted the boys to help make this lunch, but they were SO hunrgy, they wanted nothing to do with preparing.  You win some, you loose some.




Make Paper Airplanes

We have a paper airplane book & kit that my oldest superhero received for his fourth birthday.  This will keep us busy for quite a while! 




Airplane Balloon Science Experiment

I pinned this science experiment a while ago. 
 
 
 
This will fit in with our airplane theme!  Can't wait to give it a try. 
 
 
 
Well, that's it for the day.  We may add a trip to the library to look at airplane books.  If the weather was nicer, we could have made a trip to our local airport to watch some planes land and take off.
 




Some other themes I am exploring for the week are
Under the Sea
America The Beautiful
Diggers, Dozers and Dirt

 
 
We Can Do This!  We can make memories for the kidlets and stay sane while doing it.  It just takes a little planning. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!